1. Ask to see an online portfolio displaying previous work.
2. Ask about previous projects directly, and do a bit of independent Google based research on the ‘designers or agencies’ portfolio and content.
3. Ask about the finished sites cross browser/platform compatibility.
Every project should be coded to work on all browsers and platforms. “Validating mark-up and adherence to the W3C standard. Helps accomplish this”.
4. Take an active interest in how the site can be Search Engine Optimised. Ask your designer to outline the possibilities.
5. Ask for a rough breakdown of how much the project is going to cost.
6. Check how your site is doing in the index for relevant keyword searches. “Monitor your investment!”.